Birds of Paradise

Birds of Paradise

Thursday 1 January 2015

A New Year--------A Fresh Opportunity and a New Word for the Year

Happy New Year everyone.
I know that it has been a while since I have posted, and I have quite a bit of work to post!  I will gradually play catch up so you can see what I have been up to.
Today is the first day of 2015.  It was a glorious if cool day in Southern California.  We started the year off with a fairly short bicycle ride to eat breakfast at the The Beachcomber Café in the Historic District of Crystal Cove State Park, a former artists' colony.  It is worth watching the commercial on the café's website!  We took this photo a few weeks ago when it was warmer, but the tree was still on the beach today.  (Today we had warm jackets on!)



Each year, I try the practice of finding a word or a phrase for the year.  Last year I really struggled to find one, and my phrase never resonated.  This year the word relax found me.  No matter what other ideas I had it kept coming back.  so RELAX is the word I will try to keep in mind this year.  I am thinking of it in terms of not worrying so much and not getting paralysed by creative fear. 

To start the year out with some visuals, these are postcards made in December for two online postcard swaps.  One is a free motion swap and the other is for another online group.  The subject for the free motion swap (which is a one card swap) was a free motion machine quilting lesson prepared by Cindy Needham a couple of years ago, based on dividing an area.  ( http://www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com/2012/06/june-fmq-challenge-by-cindy-needham.html) while the subject for the second one was Prayers for Peace.

Cherrywood cotton quilted with Superior Kimono silk thread

Prayers for Peace front and back







No comments: